Applications are invited for a full time, tenure-track appointment at the rank of Assistant Librarian with the University Library, University of Saskatchewan. We are seeking a dynamic, innovative, and flexible individual with the appropriate qualifications and background to work collaboratively as part of the teams based at the Engineering and Science Libraries. The appointee will serve as liaison primarily to the College of Engineering, and science departments as assigned, and will contribute, as appropriate, to library-wide projects and priorities.
Reporting to the Head of the Engineering & Science Libraries, the successful candidate will be assigned the following responsibilities:
- Collaborating with faculty to support teaching and research
- Providing information services including research consultations to students, faculty, and researchers
- Developing and delivering library and information literacy instruction, both in-person and online, as well as creating effective instructional resources in a variety of formats
- Developing high quality collections of digital and print resources to support the teaching, learning, and research needs of assigned areas
- Contributing to library projects and priorities by working collaboratively with library employees, faculty, and external partners
As a requirement for tenure and promotion as defined in the University Library Standards for Tenure and Promotion (https://library.usask.ca/documents/libstandards2015.pdf), librarians are required to engage in research and scholarly work leading to the development of a formal program of research and actively disseminate research results via peer-reviewed publications. Examples of librarians’ scholarly work can be found at http://ecommons.usask.ca. Librarians are expected to participate in collegial activities, and are encouraged to engage with academic or professional organizations.
About the University Library
As one of Canada’s leading research libraries, the University Library serves as the intellectual hub of the University of Saskatchewan, providing resources, services, and spaces that facilitate discovery and promote student success. Our faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and flexible work environment in a time of significant change including the arrival of new library Dean and emerging University and Library strategic plans. The University Library is committed to developing inclusive and accessible services and resources to support our diverse clientele, with a strategic focus on Indigenous peoples. We seek applicants who embrace innovative and collaborative approaches to solving problems and advancing services. For more information visit library.usask.ca.
About the University of Saskatchewan
The University of Saskatchewan’s main campus is situated on Treaty 6 Territory and the Homeland of the Métis. The University of Saskatchewan is located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, a city with a diverse and thriving economic base, a vibrant arts community and a full range of leisure opportunities. The University has a reputation for excellence in teaching, research and scholarly activities and offers a full range of undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs to a student population of over 24,000.
An ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Science degree or equivalent is required for this appointment. Education or work experience, and a keen interest, in engineering or science fields is preferred.
We are seeking candidates who have:
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and collegiality
- Willingness to take initiative and be a self-starter
- A commitment to high quality service
- The ability to develop and sustain effective and collaborative professional working relationships and partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively in both group and individual settings
- Awareness of current trends in science and technology librarianship and in the rapidly changing environment of scholarly communications
- Strong interpersonal skills, including effective communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to work well both independently and in a collegial team environment
- An interest and capacity to contribute to research and scholarship
- A commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing basis
- A commitment to evidence-based professional practice
The salary band for this position is: Assistant Librarian, $77,613 to $93,293.
This position includes a comprehensive benefits package which includes a dental, health and extended vision care plan; pension plan, life insurance (compulsory and voluntary), academic long term disability, sick leave, travel insurance, death benefits, an employee assistance program, a professional expense allowance, and a flexible health and wellness spending program.
Interested candidates must submit, via email, a cover letter; detailed curriculum vitae; and any supporting documents to:
Melissa Just, Dean
University of Saskatchewan
156 Murray Building, 3 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A4
Review of applications will begin February 14, 2018; however, applications will be accepted and evaluated until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is July 1, 2018.
The University of Saskatchewan is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential. All members of the university community share a responsibility for developing and maintaining an environment in which differences are valued and inclusiveness is practiced. The university welcomes applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of our community. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.